Friday, June 27, 2008

Some Answers to Basic Startup Questions

I use RightStart with my children. Incorporating the principle and leading ideas for the lesson is pretty simple, but it does require some time and prayer. I start by reading the lesson through, understanding the mechanics of what manipulative I’m going to use, what the basic concept is, the general plan of the lesson, etc. I understand from the beginning, however, that God has something to teach me and my children about His nature through each individual lesson. My job is to find it and guide my children to it [the more practiced they get with this method, the more they will see other things I do not see that God is directly teaching them. When they share this with me, I am both encouraged in their learning and comforted in the fact that the teacher is God—not me.]

So first, I read through the lesson prayerfully. Second, I pray again asking God to show me his direction for the lesson. Sometimes it will pop out to me before the next steps. Sometimes more effort is involved. Third, I take key terms from the lesson. I do a variety of things, not always in the same order with these terms. I may do a word study on a key term [your Self-Directed Study in the Principle Approach will instruct you on how to complete this task]. I may look the word up in a concordance searching for Scripture in context to the lesson. Or I may do both things. Once God has revealed a truth, a principle, from His Word, I then look for a way to lead my children to that truth through leading questions and ideas. People best learn through discovering a truth for themselves rather than simply being told what that truth is. This creates ownership in learning. [It is important that this learning is recorded for future reference and preserving a record. This method can be used for other subjects as well. It is simplified here and requires practice. The more I practice it, the more proficient I become.

Using the same level for multiple students is perfectly fine. It is important, however, to make certain that individual differences are accommodated. One type of assignment may be more appropriate for one student than another. Individualizing assignments enriches the educational experience for the entire family and respects the differences of siblings.

Your statement of being more of a facilitator works well for this method. Teachers are a “living textbook”. Students do need to see you learning subjects as well. But the actual teacher is God who works through you. The notebook is a primary tool in this method. All research, reasoning, and learning should be placed there [maybe more on this later if you wish]. It will, though, create an accountability in your children and good stewardship over their property [sometimes even transferring over into the care of their rooms—yea].

As far as what you choose to purchase…the foundation books are really foundational. But you will either choose to use them or not. My advice is to know yourself and ask yourself if you will be doing the work to dig in and see how this will benefit your family. It does require study on the part of the parents. If you want more detailed help on what to purchase, contact me again and let me know. I would be happy to help here. I would need to know what you want to do for literature [if you want to use the selections suggested by the Noah Plan or something else], where you already have materials you want to use, … The Noah Plan is not legalistic. It was developed as a help for families who were struggling with how to use the foundational books and the method contained therein. Many have homeschooled using the Principle Approach prior to the release of this program. I use parts of the Noah Plan. It helps me stay on course. Through prayer God will show you what is appropriate for your family.

Blessings,
Michelle

No comments: