Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Economics and business development in the PA homeschool

We are trying a new thing now. A number of years ago, I was teaching a high school senior and needed to know what to do for economics. I had a phone conversation with a very helpful gentleman by the name, James Rose. He works with the American Christian History Institute in California. He suggested that I look at his book, A Guide to American Christian Education: The Principle Approach. Within that book is an economics course with biblical reasoning. My husband told me, after he saw how my own understanding exploded as well as the success of the student I was teaching, that he wanted our boys to have this information as well.

At that point they were too young really. But, inspired by our shaky economy in our country, I thought that maybe it was time for me to do something to help the family budget. I could start a small home based business, and coach the boys in economics as they helped along the way.

We chose to work with Watkins. They have all sorts of natural home products like spices, natural remedies, cleaners, among other things. I have really enjoyed cooking with their vanilla and spices. The boys are highly motivated by food, so we thought we'd use this for our tangible lab activity. I'll let you know how it goes. [If anyone is interested on how to do the same thing, I could direct them as well.]

The main thing is this economics course is taught so clearly, and putting God's Word in as the foundation really makes the difference in understanding.

I'll keep you posted on how things are going.

No comments: