Thursday, July 16, 2009

Lessons from a Cave--Applied

My mom has been dealing with an extended illness. She has been in the hospital since March--we’ve even had to deal with multiple hospitals. Insurance demands she be discharged at certain times, so we play the game of what to do next so that her recovery continues, and yet she’s still covered.

I live in Colorado. She lives in Texas. We both deal with wondering what will happen next. We have to fight the urge to plan ahead because we don’t have enough information to plan until a day or two ahead (that includes my travel back and forth to Texas and the care of my husband and children). I’m certain she deals with this more than me because it’s her health that’s involved.

I say this much about our situation because it’s been an amazing time of learning to trust God with the future. We have no choice. There is no other path, and God is using it as an incredible classroom. Right now, Mom’s concerned that she will be sent home before she should be–for her own safty. My reassurances are, ‘I don’t know what will happen, but I know whatever happens, you will be safe. You won’t be alone.’

God’s assurances are the same. ‘You will be safe with me. You won’t be alone.’
Some lessons are really difficult, but I remember a time in a cave where God showed me this same lesson. (Cave of the Winds–right here at home) On a lantern tour in a cave you only see what is illuminated immediately around you.

I love God's object lessons and illustrations. Because when you find yourself in the heat of a fight when the light is dim or limited, you know you’re safe; he’s right there.

We need to also remember this as we plan and as we study the Principle Approach method. Many times it seems as though we will never get the lesson God has placed before us, but we are to move ahead with the lessons that are already illuminated, and patiently wait for the lantern of God to illuminate the rest.

No comments: