Saturday, March 1, 2008

A Suggestion about Citing Sources in Student Writing

In my graduate studies I found a frustration among professors concerning students' lack of understanding of the American Psychological Association (APA) formatting of scholarly writing. For this reason I would like to suggest, as students begin to write actual research papers, they use the APA formatting.

This is a formatting that is best used gradually. I personally learned to use it best through my mistakes. Allow your student to write, using the manual, but to make note of the errors they make and correct them in future writing. The APA Manual is a black and white book and can be purchased from most bookstores. Although the book is not inexpensive, it is a book that can follow them through the university level.

I tried to use more brief synopses in textbooks that I have, but since I often use older books, I found that some of my citings were outdated. Also, the manual is simply more complete.

I personally find it easier to learn it the way I need to do it the first time rather than learning something over again.

There is another method of citation (MLA). However, since most collegiate writing uses APA, I would suggest using this option.

If anyone else has other insights concerning this matter, I would really encourage you to respond to this entry. This is a matter that needs more than my opinion.

No comments: