Saturday, March 8, 2008

Take Time to Refresh Your Knowledge

During the last two years I've been completing some graduate work. Although I completed that work at a Christian university, it has been helpful to study again to bring me back to my roots.

God blessed my university experience with increased knowledge and personal growth, but it was necessary that I study other philosophies of education and contrast them with the philosophy I have within the Principle Approach. This enabled me to better understand what exactly has been happening in our public school systems as well as in some Christian education as well. We are so thoroughly indoctrinated in secular humanism that we often don't see the falacies within humanistic systems of instruction. It is also difficult to see things we do within teaching our children in our homeschools now as being apart from God (this is my greatest concern). These studies were beneficial because they helped me to further define my own, individual philosophy of education as I learned about the presuppositions of early educational philosophers.

However, after this experience, I have come home to study and grow further within my own educational philosophies. With that in mind, I am currently revisiting my old studies in Slater's Teaching and Learning America's Christian History: A Principle Approach and The Christian History of the Constitution, both Volumns I and II (Volume II also has a study guide all available from http://www.facebookstore.com/). I'm also reading again in Rose's A Guide to American Christian Education for the Home and School (available from http://www.achipa.com/). I have plans to go through the The Self-Directed Seminar (available from http://www.facebookstore.com/) again as well.

These studies are a form of revival for me as I reaffirm my roots and commitments for my children as well as my own life. It's good to come back to the basics from time to time. Satan will distract us from our purpose a little at a time if we don't take the time to revisit our purpose. Additionally, every time we study this again, God will take us a little deeper.

I know this blog is supposed to be reserved for planning ideas, but my planning is much more than simply planning the day-to-day lessons for my children. My planning is more of a preparation. My heart needs to be prepared just as much as the hearts of my children. I constantly need to be refocused in order to keep my eyes on God's goals for me, personally, as well as focusing on the needs of my children.

No comments: