Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Word Studies

I'm often asked, "How far do I go with a word study?" My answer: "I don't know." The best thing to do here is to follow God's leading. It is a good idea in the beginning to limit it a bit, so that you can get the routine of each of the steps. Getting to the point of applying what you learn Biblically to your own life is very important. Understand the process before living in a particular word--you can always return to the study later. I know of some word studies that have gone on for a life time with the student adding to his learning all the time in a cyclical manner (meaning going through all the steps over and over again).

This can be overwhelming for children when teaching them this activity. In their case it is best to start small and grow over the years, encouraging them to expand on their own as they grow. Be careful not to take the fun out of it for them. I get so excited about this part of my own learning that I sometimes forget that my boys don't always see things through my eyes. What I see as a treasure trove, they may see as a mountain of useless work. Start small and strive to choose words and subjects that apply directly to their lives.

2 comments:

Michelle Heidemann said...

I'm at the library, so I can't remember if this is in lesson 3 or 4, but there is an extensive word study on the word 'education'. I'm doing this with you. I wanted you to know that I know the work is long and involved, but it is definately worth the journey. It's like sitting by Jesus and allowing him to teach you in the way you should go with the education with your children. Do not 'weary in well-doing'. You may need to take this in small pieces, but see it all the way through; you will be glad you did.

yhwh6640 said...

I have just "completed" the word study on renew. It ended up 7 pages of copied definitions and verses and 1 page of my own.
My question is that steps 4 and 5 kind of melded together. I wrote Webster-style definitions of my own based on what I had learned primarily from the verses, then a personal application of what this then means to my own renewal. Don't know if I have missed the meaning of "Biblical Principles."
I'll write what I came up with in the Renew section. Some of it is similar to what you had written Michelle.
--Alex